The current COVID-19 pandemic is challenging families like never before. For parents juggling the demands of working from home and caring for their home-bound children, help is a friendly phone call away.
Crittenton Center has created a parenting helpline connecting callers with parenting experts to answer questions large and small, such as:
- Finding ways for your children to stay connected with their friends, classmates and loved ones in this time of social distancing
- Ideas for setting clear and workable boundaries with your children so you can get your work done
- How to help your child learn while school is no longer in session
- Engaging your children in activities to avoid hearing “I’m bored”
- Constructive, relationship-building ways to connect as a family in this stressful time
Crittenton Center’s parenting helpline is available 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. weekdays by calling 712.255.4321 English: ext. 111, 120; Spanish: ext. 151.
The helpline comes as parents are feeling anxious and overwhelmed trying to juggle working from home while homeschooling their children during the COVID-19 pandemic, says Tracy Feathers, Crittenton Center development director.
“Navigating this ‘new normal’ while keeping their families safe and complying with social distancing has left parents with less support,” says Tracy Feathers, development director. “That’s where Crittenton Center can help. We’ve been here for children, individuals and families for 125 years, and we’re here to help families at this unprecedentedly challenging time. Our family support workers are here to listen, offer tips and connect parents to needed resources.”
To further assist parents of young children, Crittenton Center has transitioned its in-home parenting classes to virtual visits. These classes are for parents with children birth to age 5. These online classes are available at no charge to residents of Woodbury and Ida counties due to grant funding. Participants have the opportunity to earn incentives such as car seats, strollers, formula and more. Classes are offered in English and Spanish, for more information call 712.255.4321 English: ext. 111, 120; Spanish: ext. 151.