Founded in 1895, Crittenton Center has a rich history of providing services to children, individuals, and families in need.
Since our humble beginnings in 1895...
Over the years, Crittenton Center has changed to meet the ever-evolving needs of our community.
Originally conceived as a maternity home for unwed mothers, the agency is now a multi-disciplinary, family-oriented, nonprofit (501c3) designed to give children and families the support they need to feel cared for, nurtured, healthy, safe, and to lead successful self-sufficient lives.
While our services over the years have changed, our mission, vision, beliefs, and values have not.
Thank you for helping us continue to provide much-needed services to our community.
1882: Charles Crittenton’s daughter, Florence, stricken with Scarlet Fever, died. Mr. Crittenton vowed to help women and children experiencing homelessness and personal crisis with no other place to go.
1894: Dr. Agnes Eichelberger and Police Matron Thurston began organizing a home for indigent children in Sioux City.
1895: Property purchased, Board of Directors organized, and the Babies’ Home Society established.
1904: The Society received its Charter and became a member of the National Florence Crittenton Home Mission.
1906: Construction of the building located at 1105 – 28th Street completed.
1907: Florence Crittenton Home dedicated. Services expanded to include care of neglected children under the age of three.
1914: Construction of the Maternity Hospital, adjacent to the Florence Crittenton Home completed. Services once again expanded to provide residential maternity care, labor/delivery services, and nurses training.
1928: Maternity Hospital sold to the Methodist Hospital for use as a Nurses’ Training School.
1930: The first Community Chest (now known as United Way) Fund Drive held in Sioux City, with The Florence Crittenton Home receiving a portion of the funds raised.
1950’s: Phased out services offered at the Maternity Hospital, eventually closing that facility.
1972: Emergency shelter services began for girls ages birth to 13.
1979: Licensed as a co-ed emergency shelter services and expanded to serve children up to age 17. In-patient maternity services discontinued due to the changing societal climate. Parent Survival Program began serving families facing crisis.
1987: Implemented Diversion & Monitoring Program to serve troubled youth.
1992: Changed agency name to Crittenton Center. Acquired Stella Sanford Child Development Center. Implemented the HOPES-HFI (Healthy Opportunities to Experience Success – Healthy Families Iowa).
1994: Began Teen Survival and After School Programs. The Family Development Center, located at 1309 Pierce Street, opened.
1995: Expanded social work services and began to provide Adoptive Child Studies.
1996: Purchased and began renovations to the facility located at 3901 Green Avenue.
1997: Completed renovation and moved the Emergency Shelter Care program to the Center for Shelter and Youth Development. Initiated first-ever capital campaign - “Rays of Hope” for Shelter and Family Development properties. Expanded services to include a Pilot Visitation Project.
1998: Relocated Administrative and Health Services to new location at 2417 Pierce Street. Began COAR (Crisis On-Call Assessment and Response) program. Stella Stanford Child Development Center accredited through the National Association for the Education of Young Children.
1999: Agency accredited by the Council on Accreditation of Services for Families and Children Services, Inc. Entered into preliminary alliance with Tanager Place of Cedar Rapids, Iowa.
2000: Awarded Continuum of Care Grant to initiate Project LIFE, an independent living program for children age 18 or older aging out of shelter or foster care. Formalized alliance with Tanager Place. Westside Resource Center opened in Salvation Army building at 600 West 7th Street.
2001: Implemented TAPS (Transitions and Practical Solutions) Program and The Crittenton School at the Shelter on Green Avenue.
2003: Purchased property at 303 W. 24th Street for use as Administration Offices, Maternal Health Program, and Family Development Services.
2004: Awarded SHIP grant to begin an infant childcare program for children of students at West High School. HOPES-HFI program accredited through Healthy Families America.
2007: Stella Sanford Preschool opened at Westside Resource Center.
2009: Stella Sanford Preschool opened at Everett Elementary (replacing the location at Westside Resource Center) and Smith Elementary
2010: Westside Resource Services relocated to Riverside Elementary School
2011: Pierce Street property sold, Everett & Smith Preschools merged to form two new classrooms in Liberty School, and the Center was awarded a Continuum of Care Grant to expand Project Life to include individuals with disabilities.
2012: Westside Resource Center moves to 1410 Nebraska Street and changes its name to Crittenton’s Resource Center.
2013: Crittenton Center’s Resource Center accredited through Iowa Family Support, the property at 1111 28th Street was sold to H&S Properties, and Project Life’s Programs became Salvation Army Programs with case management by Crittenton Center
2014: Crittenton Center awarded the Children at Home grant for monetary assistance to purchase necessary items to help children with disabilities remain in their homes, Maternal Health moves to Siouxland Community Health Center, the Center was awarded a contract with the Department of Human Services to conduct Family Team Meetings, and the Resource Center moves to the administration site located at 303 W. 24th St.
2015: Shared Vision expands services to low income families at Stella Sanford Child Development Center and family Support Services (Resource Center and HOPES), the property at 1105 28th St. was sold to Callin cummings, L.L.C., and the Administration moves to 814 Pierce Street - Suite 100.
2017: Project HELP Program started working with chronically homeless, disabled adults and Supervised Apartment Living Cluster Site began inside the Emergency Shelter.
2020: Administrative Office, including HOPES and Resource Center, moves to the heart of downtown Sioux City, the Ho-Chunk Centre at 600 4th Street - Suite 100.
2021: Stella Sanford Child Development program opens an additional location at 6100 Morningside Avenue. This new Preschool & Childcare Center is a partnership with another local non-profit, Sanford Center, who will provide before and after school care in the same location with transportation to Morningside area schools, providing a one stop drop-off for parents with younger and school age children.
Keep up with news from Crittenton.
Sign up with your email address to receive updates.